Thursday, December 2, 2010

It takes 10 years to end Homelessness

Well that is what our city council is working on "Ten Year Plan to End Homelessness" in our city.  WOW.  Why does it take that long?  I know it takes time, but that's like a lifetime.  I can't imagine being on the street for that long.  I read their 34 page plan and it reads well, but 10 years is still a long time.  In their report, it stated that there were at least 50 chronic homeless individuals in our city and about 172 who are at risk.  Not sure what at-risk means.  There was a definition, but I skipped that part.  They also listed all of the resources that are available.  This report was put together from their findings in 2009.  Students at the university participated by doing interviews of 18 chronically homeless individuals.  They range from being homeless 2 weeks to 22 years.  If there are only 50 people who are chronically homeless--meaning living in a place that is not suitable for living--car, outside, etc (not living with someone else) then it shouldn't take 10 years.  If I had money, I'd build a motel similar to the one that I rent on the weekend and put them there until they can find a place to live.  Of course there would need to be money to sustain the place, but that's where the United Way and other grants come in. 

When I used to park at the other large hotel, I noticed that it was never filled.  There are 370 rooms in that hotel and for over a month I parked in their lot and I've never seen it full over night.  Of course it's a conference center and it's said to be the large hotel and conference center downstate Illinois (meaning outside of the Chicago area).  Why can't there be some kind of partnership with them to house some people who are homeless.  I know that there are some homeless who have mental concerns and who may have addiction problems, but there are some who are simply out of work and have no where to go--like me.  I have no family here and I have very few friends--none that I can turn to.  The hotel could get a tax break for donating the rooms, right?  When I would go inside to use the restroom, I'd go to a wing that was always deserted.  There was never anyone staying in that wing.  The staff would use it for storage of chairs.  The hotel that I currently park at is never full.  It has 60 rooms and there and there are never over 20 cars in the lot.  There are some people who are there who don't have cars because I've seen taxis there all the time, but I'm sure they have some rooms that are available.  I usually just walk in and ask if they have any rooms available and they always do.  That the same way with most of the hotels here in town.  They are empty most of the time. 

We have 9 hotels here in town that are never at capacity.  Why can't they donate space.  I know they are in the business of making money, but they won't be losing any money if the rooms is empty anyway.  If all 9 donated 5 rooms, the chronic problem would be no problem.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...