Saturday, December 28, 2013

Bald Eagle Sightings

I drove for about 10 hours today for work but it was all worth it because in Grafton, IL I got to see not one, not two, but 3 bald eagles. And it was amazing.

Apparently, Grafton, IL is the wintering destination for bald eagles from Dec 1 - Mar 1 and people come from all over the world to see them and we got to see them today. Of course we didn't get a chance to stop and enjoy because we were working, but it was still amazing. We learned about the bald eagles in October when we went to Grafton. We learning that they build nest that are so huge they can weigh up to a ton. And we learned that the eagles mate for life and their wingspan can be up to 7 feet long.

We didn't know that we would see a sighting when we were down there, but we saw all the people on the side of the Great River Road with cameras, binoculars, and telescopes. We looked up and there was one perched on the top of the tree. It was cool. We drove a little further and we saw two flying. They were beautiful!!

I'm so glad we went.

After that we rode on a ferry across the Illinois river--IN THE CAR. WAAAAYYYYY COOOOLLLLL!!!

I kept seeing the signs that said "Free Ferry" and then it said 30,000 ton limit. And the only thing I could thinking of was how many people have to get on a ferry for it to transport 30,000 tons. The GPS then told us to turn left and get on the ferry.

WHAT???

We can't get on the ferry. We will have to leave the car and we can't do that....is what I was thinking. Then one of my partners told us that we drive on the ferry. Ooooohhhhhhh!!

We got in line and drove the car right up on the ferry behind 4 other cars and they ferried us across.  We got out the car and took pics and videos. I'm the one recording and the other person is my partner.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...