Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Food Baskets

The nonprofit I volunteer with provided food baskets for Christmas to about 40 people in the community. We also provided food baskets to people in another city. I love volunteering for this project. I love being able to help somebody. Two years ago when I helped, I cried when I delivered food to this one lady. When I gave her the basket, she was so appreciative that she cried and that made me cry. It was beautiful. We don't deliver the baskets anymore, but we have them come to pick them up. There were 8 people who didn't come to get their basket. I was wondering if they didn't come because they didn't have a ride, but we had 8 left. Of course those will be given away during the regular food pantry house in January, but I was too embarrassed to ask for one. I was hoping that the director would ask me because two years ago when we had left overs, she asked me if I wanted one and at the time, I didn't need it so, I told her "no thank you". I figured they could give that food to someone who really needed it. Well, I'm in need!!! God keeps blessing me day by day because every day, when I've needed gas money somebody has given me money without asking. So, I have gas. But I have no food. Yes, Jenny is wonderful about seeing that I get something to eat, but I feel so bad that I can't offer anything. Jenny is low-income herself. I'm not exactly sure how much she makes, but I know it's not a lot. I was helping her complete her financial aid forms earlier this year for school and she had her 2009 taxes and she only made about $12000 last year. So, not being able to help her with buying stuff for Christmas dinner is something that makes me uncomfortable. Gggrrrrrr.

The good news is that I got too important phone calls today. At 4:27pm, the DHS people called me. I have an appointment to see if I'm eligible for food stamps at 8:15am on Monday morning. I have to bring my identification and my letter from the unemployment stating that I'm ineligible. Ugh!!! I haven't gotten the letter yet.

What to do, what to do??

At 4:46, I got a call from the unemployment people. I have an appointment at 3:00pm on Monday afternoon. I will need to bring in my work search forms--the form that says I've looked for work from 11/14-12/21.

So, I've got to get that letter together.

I guess that's accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...