Friday, November 12, 2010

Homeward Bound

That is the name of the transitional housing program that I signed up for.  The orientation was today.  I was hoping that I wouldn't know anyone there, but sure enough, Juana, a girl that used to come to my church walked in.  Then there was a former student of mine.  I believe she dropped out.  Another former member of my church was there and right before we were getting ready to get started, a woman from my church peeked her head in the door.  She works for the organization.  Coming in late was the mother of a former student of mine. She was there with her daughter, who just had a baby.

This was such a humbling experience.  They simply told us that there is a 3-4 month wait for housing and that a case manager would review our file and give us a call to come in for an interview.  She made a point to let us know that not everyone would be able to receive the services.  I don't know what I"m gonna do.  I just hope and pray that it doesn't get cold soon.  God has blessed us with amazing weather.  It's been above 70 degrees during the day and around 47 degrees at night.  It's supposed to rain this weekend and then the temperature is supposed to drop a little.  I hate that this is such a small city.  If I lived in Chicago, I'm sure I probably wouldn't have seen anyone I know.  There are so many services in that city.  However, in a city where there are only about 75,000 people, there's no need for more than one homeless program.  Well, actual there is, but money wise, it doesn't make sense.    

I wanted to cry as I was leaving the place.  It's one thing to be homeless and manage on my own, but it's another thing to be homeless and have other people who know you, know that you are seemingly destitute.

I don't know what I'm gonna do about my brother.  If I can't get into this program, I'm not sure if I will be able to care for him in January.

Before, I went to my appointment, I was sitting in the park looking at dreamland pond.  There were a lot of ducks and geese there.  I simply said to God, "They have no care in the world.  You take care of them.  They don't worry about what they are gonna eat or where they are going to live.  They aren't even scared to sleep in the public.  I need you to take care of me like you take care of the animals."  The Bible says to ask according to His will and there is a scripture that says,

 Therefore I tell you, stop being perpetually uneasy (anxious and worried) about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink; or about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life greater [in quality] than food, and the body [far above and more excellent] than clothing?
    
Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father keeps feeding them. Are you not worth much more than they?

And who of you by worrying and being anxious can add one unit of measure (cubit) to his stature or to the span of his life?


Matthew 6:26 The Amplified Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...