Saturday, November 20, 2010

Box City Review Cont.

After we got back to the church there were activities for the youth. Our group had to leave at 10pm because we hadn't made plans to stay the night, so we weren't able to hear the stories of the formerly homeless. One guy was gonna tell his story of his fight with the city because he would bathe in the fountain in Central Park. He was homeless, had no where to shower, so he would go to the fountain to clean himself. Central Park is located right downtown and is a picturesque tourist spot. During prom and weddings and all types of special occasions people go there to take photos. People also have picnics and during the summer there are many festivals, car shows and other large events that are held in Central Park. So this was a big deal with the mayor of the city. He was arrested often. I wanted to hear his story, but we had to go.

While leaving the event I looked at all the box houses sprawled across the lawn, the people huddled around the barrels of fire to keep warm, the police that was there on guard because this was a simulation and not the real thing and I wondered if they were really aware of the issue of homelessness. I'm sure I wasn't the only homeless person there because I saw one of the guys from the transitional home orientation, but I wondered if the young people really understood the issues at hand. Sure they were going to spend the night in the cold, but to do this everyday can take a toll.

The last couple of nights it's been really cold and I thank God for my car because at least that is some type of shelter. I pray that I can continue to handle this situation until it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...