Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Box City

In my city there is an annual homeless awareness event called Box City.  A local church and the homeless programs host this event where youth, members of the community, and anyone who is interested in can come to hear speakers on the issues related to homelessness.  Also, individuals can spend the night in Box City, a set up of boxes that are on the parking lot of the church.  Participants can eat a free meal at the Good Samaritan Inn and experience first hand what it is like to be homeless when it is cold.  This event is held every year in November.

I work with a youth group on the weekends and every year they participate.  However, I've never participated because I didn't feel the need to experience homelessness.  In the past I've experienced it--my family was homeless when I was in the 4th and 12th grade.  So, I was aware of the issues.  But, this year I will be participating because the coordinator of the program needs someone to assist her.  I'm also going because I want to know of there are some other resources that may be available for me.  I'm sure it will be an interesting evening.  We aren't spending the night, but we are staying until 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...