Monday, October 25, 2010

Wonderful Interview

I was so tired yesterday because a former student called me to ask if I could pick her up for work at 10. By the time I got back to the hotel parking lot it was 11 and by the time I got to the back seat it was close to 11:30. I woke up this morning at 3am. Not sure why, but I went back to sleep until 5am when I got up to go to morning prayer at 5:30. After prayer I went to the park to sleep for a half and hour and it turned out to be an hour instead, so I was a little nervous because that meant I only had an hour to get dressed for my interview at 9am.

I got back to the hotel a little after 8 and gathered my things to go to the restroom to wash up. I wanted a shower, but I didn't have time to go all the way to the community college and make it back downtown for my interview in time. Plus, I didn't want to run into any security at the college, so I just opted to wash up in the bathroom at the hotel.

Once inside I was washing away when I heard noise in the hallway. I was a little nervous and decided to skip the ironing just in case a staff member was coming along to knock on the door. I'm glad I did decide to not iron my suit (which was already ironed but I wanted to make sure that it was crisp) because when I got back to my car, it was 8:44. My interview was at 9 and I was about 10 minutes away from downtown. I got to the building at 8:56--just enough time to put my make-up on and take the elevator up. I didn't like the fact that I had my hair up and no earrings, but I had on make-up so it was all good.

When I got to the interview, Gloria was so nice. She did most of the talking and when things were winding down she told me that this was a pre-screening interview and that there would be another group interview. She also told me the position pays between $35 & $40K. I was shocked. Because this is a nonprofit organization I was sure it would be on the lower end, like $25-$30. She also told me that she is looking to have someone in place by mid-November, therefore, she will be calling for second interviews by the end of this week.

She did mention that I applied for the other position and I told her that I really like this one better. Right before the end of the interview I listed for her my qualifications that fit the position:

1. B.S. in Health Education, so this goes along with the health and wellness specifications of the position.
2. Teaching degree so this goes along with the teaching and curriculum development portion of the position. Also, I told her that I developed curriculum for another organization.
3. Experience working with the mental health because I've taught and worked on call at a residential group home for youth and all of them were on some type of medication.

One thing that she mentioned quite a few times was that she is also looking for someone to coordinate the program once she leaves because she is currently retired, but because she wrote the grant she was asked to come back to assist with getting it started. She stated that she is looking to leave before the end of the year. So, I took the opportunity to mention to her that I coordinated an after school program where I supervised up to 12 teachers and recreational staff.

When I finished the interview, I went down to talk to my friend who works in the same building. I told her about the interview and when I mentioned that I interviewed with Gloria, she lit up. She told me that She has known her, her husband and children for years. She grew up with her children, spent a lot of time when them at her house and that she has always been friends with the family. She told me that she was gonna call her as soon as I left to tell her that we were friends and to give me a good reference. I had already put this friend down as a reference anyway.

So, I'm excited about the opportunity! This will definitely get me into a place to live before the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...