Friday, October 15, 2010

Panhandling

I was leaving work yesterday pretty happy that I was off on Friday when I came to the stop light right before getting on the highway immediately my spirit was troubled. At the stop light was a woman holding a sign that said, "will work for food." I wanted so badly to help her, but I had no money myself, so I kept going. This was the first time I had seen a woman panhandling. Mostly I see guys with what looks that have that homeless look. You know the look--layers of clothing, carrying multiple bags, scruffy and unshaven. This women was normal just like me. She had on regular clothes and gym shoes. In the back of my mind, I wondered if she was mentally ill. I wish I had something to give to her, but I didn't.

When I got back home, I went to Walmart to buy food for the evening, but I sat in teh car for about 30 minutes because the last two times I tried to write a check at Walmart, they were declined. So, I was nervous. Sure enough it was declined. I wanted to write the amount for over so that I could get gas. I prayed and prayed to not run out of gas and fortunately I made it to my destination fine.

This morning, I got up to freezing temperatures. My car thermometer said 45 degrees. My toes was so cold. I had to park at the hotel because I didn't think I had enough gas to go back to the Walmart parking lot. I was scared that I would see the hockey guy again, but I made it through the night. I went to the park to sleep some more, but there were too many cars around so I just sat in the car and took the braids out of my hair. My hair is so dirty, it's pitiful. It took me 3 hours to take it down. I then went to the gas station to get gas and my check was declined again. The lady gave me the number to telecheck and I found out that my check had overdrawn again and she said it would take 14 days for my account to clear. Embarrassing. So I went to another gas station up the street who I knew didn't run checks through a machine. They just stamped them and put them in the register. I was still a little nervous and checked my account online to make sure that I hadn't overdrawn on any checks for this station.

I got to the community college to shower, but I wanted to wash my hair and that took forever. I think I spent over close to 45 minutes in the shower trying to wash my hair. It was so tangled and dirty, but it felt so much better when I got out. The weather is supposed to be really cold again tonight. I'm praying for this new job that I applied for so that I can get a place before it turns frosty. Father God, please hear my prayer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...