Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I WILL NOT DEFRAUD THE IRS

What is wrong with people?? 

A young girl that I mentor said that she claimed her boyfriend as a dependent on her taxes last year. She said that she told the tax preparer that he was her cousin and that she took care of him. This man was older than her. WHAT???? 

What tax preparer, in their right mind, would file a return for a person who made less than $3000 and that person said that they took care of all of the expenses for a grown man who was locked up for part of the year??  Who does that??

OMG, I am amazed at what people will do. I know people lie and cheat and there are bonafide thieves. But, do you realize that lying on your taxes is stealing.

Okay, Okay....

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking about how I itemized my deductions and forgot to file a certain form for my charitable deductions (it was property that I donated to local charities and I was supposed to file a certain form for property over a certain amount and I didn't realize I had to until AFTER I filed and I didn't feel like doing an amended return). I donated all of the property to lower my tax liability, but I did that legit. Of course I approximated the fair market value. I mean, how do you find out the value of a computer, two sofas and a desk and chair and television and bed??  So, I guessed and it lowered my tax liability. 

But, to blatantly claim someone who is clearly NOT related to you and who WAS IN JAIL for most or part of the year is BOLD.

I say all this because I just had another girl that I mentor ask me if I could claim her.  WHAT???

She's white and she just got out of jail in October.  AM I A FOOL??? How in the world can I prove that she lived with me?? As a matter of fact I CAN'T have anyone live with me because of my contract as a resident manager. And spending most of the year in jail doesn't constitute you taking care of a person for more than half the year.

Yes, it would lower my tax liability, but I'M NOT STUPID!!

As a matter of fact, I AM certified by the IRS to do taxes. I will go to JAIL if I did something like this. Another thing...I was just reading over the weekend about how tax preparers are abusing the power and authority and spending years in jail and paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution to the IRS and federal government.

These people are crazy!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...