Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Emotional Interview

I asked my friend, Tam, about the Residential Manger position and she told me, on Sunday, that she mentioned my name to the program director and was told that she would go through the applicants to choose. I left it at that and just figured that the job wasn't mine. On Saturday, I was locked out of the house. I'm not complaining, I had to sleep in the cold car, so I did't mind sitting in the car to wait on Jen to get home. I did, however, feel a little bit uncomfortable when she finally arrived so instead of immediately getting out of the car, I hid in my snow covered car for another 20 minutes or so. Crazy, right?! On yesterday, I was so tired. We had a meeting at church and Jen was there and after the meeting, I asked Jen for the key to get into the house because I wanted to go home to go to bed. She said that she didn't have the key, but she had the garage opener, but she didn't want to give it to me because she wouldn't be able to get in the door if I was sleeping when she got home. I just said, 'ok' and went to the office to work while she finished her work. I told God that I was tired. Then I told God that I was still grateful to have a roof over my head.

When I opened my email I got a message from Tam. She said that the Director could not find the other applicants, so I was the only prospect for the job and she wanted to interview me the next day. I immediately replied, "what time? when?" I was so excited. I was amazed at how God was orchestrating this situation. She was in desperate need of someone to manage the building and I was the only one who was available. I'm sure she didn't want to advertise for the job all over again. Newspaper ads alone cost over $300.

I was so awed by God that I couldn't sleep. There were some things on my mind--I needed to figure out what to do about work, since we were on a warning. I needed to figure out this other situation. So, I needed God to speak to me. I read the word of God, cried at what He was telling me, prayed about some other stuff, sang a few worship songs and finally tossed and turned on my cot that I sleep on. I finally got to sleep after 3am and was up at 5am to get ready for the day.

When I got up this morning, I text Mel to see if he could take me to work after my interview. He said he would. So, I needed to get him some gas money. So, I took a walk....in the frigid
-15 wind chill weather to make my way to the post office and the bank. I had no money to get on the bus. This guy saw me walking and gave me a ride to the post office. Then I footed it to the bank. It took me about an hour. Once at the bank I got enough money to pay some bills, get Mel and Kim some gas, give Jenny some money, and get something to eat and then get on the bus to get back home to get my bag. Mel came and got me to take me to the interview.

The interview started off kind of shaky. I hate the question, "Tell me a little bit about yourself...." I wasn't prepared for it. Grrrrr. Then she started telling me more about what was going on in the building--people fighting and not doing right. After she told me all of that she got through the interview questions and asked me why I wanted to the position and I told her I wanted to help somebody to have hope. These are people who are at the bottom. They have no place else to go, but up and some of them have a hard time getting up. Sometimes their situation can consume them. I got emotional when I told her that I was in a bad situation, but I had a strong faith and good people around me to keep position to get through this!! There was an old song that we used to listen to growing up and it said, "This too shall pass." and that's the way I feel. I don't know how she feels about me getting emotional, but I did the best that I could. She was even asking me if I could hold building meetings which is not apart of the job description, but I told her that I could.

There was a snafu when she asked me if I had transportation and insurance. Ugh. I told her yes. My intention is to get my car running and get reliable insurance. I also kind of mentioned that I worked as a night supervisor. Well, I did kind, but not at the time that I told her. I think I said during college, but I hadn't done that during college, it was actually after college which I didn't remember until just now.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...