Thursday, September 30, 2010

So Amazing to Be Loved

3:30 came and it was time to leave work.  I was a little apprehensive.  I'm 45 miles away from my homeless home and I'm out of gas.  What am I gonna do??

During lunch time I said a small prayer and called a few social services that cater to homeless people.  I simply asked if they had any services that provided money for transportation to and from work.  Of the three places I called one place told me that they did, but was currently out of resources.  I teared up a little when I remembered that not long ago a man showed up at my job (at the nonprofit) asking if someone could help him with gas money because he had no way to get to the doctor.  I left the office, trailed the man to the gas station and got him some gas.  I told him if he needed food, to come back because we had a food pantry.  As I was remembering I was secretly asking God why no one would do that for me.  You reap what you sow right?  I was in need and I had no one to ask.

So, I left work and drove down the street to the university and as I parked my friend called me.  We chatted a little about work and at the end of the conversation I jokingly told her that I was stuck and I had written my last check and I had no way to get home.  She called her sister for me and asked her sister if she could come get me.  Her sister, who is also a friend of mine immediately called me to let me know that she would be there to bring me some money.  However, a half an hour later, she called me back to tell me she forgot she needed to be at work, but she reminded me that we had another friend that worked in the same city.

I text her and she called and back and I told her what was going on and she came with no questions asked to drive with me to the gas station to get me some gas.

I reaped what I sowed and I didn't have to beg and cry to social services.  As I was leaving, I just cried and thanked God because his word is still right, "...for whatever a man sows, that will he reap."

As I was driving and crying and thanking God, I passed by a couple standing by their van in a parking lot.  There was a huge sign that said, "Will do anything (almost) for gas and food...."  I cried some more because I realized that could have been me.  I wished I had something to help them, but I had nothing.

As I was driving over the highway to my homeless home (my friend that called her sister wanted me to attend a meeting with her, so I decided to go home) I began to think about how loved I am among my friends.  What friend will drive 90 miles to give me some money?  Not many people will do that, but she was willing to.  I then began to think about my family and how if I asked them none of them would have stepped up to help me.    I cried all the way home remembering the struggle growing up to gain support from my family.

It's sad that I don't have support from my natural family,  but I thank God that he has given me a church family that accepts me and helps me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...