Sunday, September 19, 2010

How I eat

Eating as a homeless person takes some planning.  I usually like to eat healthy, (except for the the times where I was working so much that I was to tired to cook and simply at fast food).  However, as a homeless person with not a lot of money, I have to take what I can get.  My favorite is JIF peanut butter.  I didn't realize how full a person can get just by eating peanut butter.  On a good day I go to Walmart, get a pre-baked chicken, two packs of Uncle Ben's pre-cooked rice that you only have to put in the microwave for 90 seconds, a can of cream of mushroom soup and another can of vegetables--corn or peas, and I mix it all together, put it in the microwave after church, eat dinner a church on Sunday and leave the rest in the church's refrigerator to eat the rest of the week.  Going to church makes it convenient.  On Monday's I attend prayer in the morning.  After prayer, I go the frig, get a bowl of my microwaved chicken casserole and save it for lunch.  I attend church on Tuesday's also, but in the evening, so I may eat fruit or peanut butter during the day and then before church I heat up a bowl of casserole to eat for dinner.  Before I go home for church at night I go to get a bowl to take for lunch on Wednesday.  I don't attend church on Thursday, but there is a secretary that is at the church most days, so I can get into the building to heat up some of my famous chicken casserole and the same goes for Friday.  The chicken casserole last a week and it cost under $10.

Chicken and rice casserole is not the only meal that I have, but it's quick and simple.  I also love to eat smoked turkey legs and canned beans.  Sometimes Walmart sales pre-cooked smoked turkey legs.  I buy one or two ($3 each) and get a can of black eyed peas or two and microwave it all and eat it for the week.  Sometimes I add canned tomatoes and okra.

There are sometimes when I don't have $10 to get the food I want so I get a package of bologna and a loaf of bread.  Simple.

The nonprofit I work for has a food pantry and because I work there I have access to get canned fruits or other snacks that I may want.

I have not had to go hungry.  Thank God!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...