Thursday, September 23, 2010

One day's pay and blessings from God!!!

The job that I have was supposed to be part-time to full-time, depending on the need.  Two weeks ago, I worked full-time, minus Labor Day.  Last week, I worked 1pm - 5pm.  This week, my boss said that she only needed me two days-Monday and Tuesday.  A full 16 hours.  Not only that, but I get paid weekly--on a Friday.  Imagine my surprise when on last Friday, I was expecting to be paid for 34 hours and I only got paid for 6.5 hours--one day.  Basically, $75.  There was a screw-up in my paycheck I didn't realize I had only been paid $75 until after I loaned $15 to someone, bought gas, and bought food and paid my tithes at church.  I overdraft a check and was charged $29.  Ugh!!!!  I told my manager, that I wasn't paid and she hurried to send my time in and I was assuming I would get paid the next day--I have direct deposit and that's what we tell all of our employees--Payroll will process it ASAP and you should get it in a day or two.  Well, I didn't get paid until a whole week later which is today and I needed to buy gas to drive 90 miles (roundtrip) to turn in some work that I was contracted to do on yesterday.  And I needed to buy something to eat.  However, I had no money, so I was forced to write a check for $10 in gas--that was going to get me to my destination and I was going to pray fervently to get back home without running out of gas.  I wasn't going to worry about food because I could go a day or two without, but I was fortunate.  Instead of having to drive to take the contract, my colleague told me to send it with someone who was already going.  So, I didn't have to waste the $10 I paid to get gas.  Also, I was asked to attend a committee meeting and there were loads of food.  I got me a full plate to go, enough food for breakfast the next day (and I didn't look out of place because everyone was taking food to go).  I was hoping that the $10 check didn't turn into $39 because of another overdraft.  However, that wasn't my biggest concern at the time because I got a call from a temp agency offering me 16 hours of work and I needed the gas to get across town to the company.  So, my 16 hours of work turned into 32 hours for this week.  I thanked God!!!!
My temp job was interesting.  I was called in to help stuff 18,000 scholarship letter, applications and brochures.  That was 18,000 pieces of mail that could have been put on the internet for people to get the information from, but despite my greenness, I was happy to have the job.  After sitting for 8 hours stuffing envelopes, the group realized that we worked pretty efficiently.  The company said that it usually takes 3 days to complete the task, however, we got done with 15,000 in one day.  So we were all wondering if we would have work for the next day.  I was sure they were going to tell us not to come in, but they said they would see us tomorrow.  Thank God, again!!!!

As I was leaving the job, I stopped at the community college to change clothes and I quickly checked my email.  My boss had emailed me and text me to say they needed me for the next two weeks.  Praise Jesus, because I wasn't sure if I would have a pay check after next week.   So, I will be working fulltime for the next two weeks. Thank you, Jesus!!!

So, I'm grateful.  It reminds me of a song that gives me hope.  The video for this was made by a woman who obviously loves her daughter, but it's appropriate for my situation because "even when it rains outside, there's still light":

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DElc1DIc-04?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DElc1DIc-04?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...