Saturday, August 25, 2012

I Just Left Egypt

Two years ago, around this time I was staring homelessness in the face.  My apartment was being emptied, clothes were being pack up. I was counting down the days.....

Last year, in December my friend rescued me and allowed me to live with her.  One night, in January 2011 while at her house I looked up Egypt online.  I was thinking how it would be nice to visit.  Shortly after researching, the crisis in Egypt became known worldwide and many foreigners who  were vacationing there were flocking to airports to leave....no one was planning to vacation there.

All of this reminded me of my Egypt journey.  No, I've never been there physically, but when I compare my life to the word of God, I can say that I've had an experience like the children of Israel. They lived in Egypt. Many of them were even born in Egypt, but that wasn't their nationality. They weren't considered Egyptians even though they were born their.  Their history was Abraham, Issac and Jacob (Israel). They were Israelites.

*this is not a history lesson, ....just telling a story*

So, they belong to God. They were God's chosen. They were indoctrinated into the new culture/lifestyle of Egypt. They lived there for 400 years. So leaving Egypt was a big thing!!

Think about it....my people historically come from Africa, but I've never been to Africa. What would it be like if I left American and went to live in Africa? There would be some adjustments that need to be made because That is a whole different continent with it's own culture. I'd have to adapt/adjust to live.

The children of Israel  needed to adapt even while leaving Egypt. God gave us the history of them losing their life so that when we leave our "Egypt", we don't die just like them.

They could not adapt...they even wanted to go back......

WHY???? Not because that's where they were from, but because that's what they KNEW. They didn't know a different way of living. It's interesting...when they left Canaan, they didn't complain. There is no record of them wanting to go back. They could have gone back when the famine was over. They didn't so why complain when God wanted to take them back to where they were from?

I don't know what lies ahead for me, but I do know that I've left Egypt. I was there for a long time. Not only was I there, but I was born there. Egypt was in my....the culture/lifestyle, but I'm not there anymore. My address is different, I don't live there anymore....so as I'm journeying to my new home, I'm not gonna make the same mistakes that they made.

I don't want to go back to Egypt.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...