Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Journey Up: No REGRETS

Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62 NIV

In the wake of my recent circumstances, I have been looking back....looking back over my life--at the things that I've done, the mistakes that I've made, the decisions that I've made.  This has caused me to regret certain decisions.  I'm not even go detail what those decision are because really IT DOESN'T MATTER. Because there is no benefit to that. 

Regret can be defined, according to Bing Dictionary....as,
  1. feel sorry for something: to feel sorry and sad about something previously done or said that now appears wrong, mistaken, or hurtful to others
  2. used politely when giving bad news: used as a polite expression of sorrow when making an apology or delivering a piece of bad or unwelcome news
  3. mourn for somebody or something: to feel sadness about something, or feel a sense of loss and longing for somebody or something that is no longer there
I began feeling sorry that I made some of those decisions.  It caused me to be sad and in a funk...to be exasperated.  Regret leads to remorse, then shame and guilt if it's not dealt with.  Shame leads to depression and I CAN'T AFFORD to be depressed. 

So, I can't keep looking back....now that I think about it...this is why I was thinking about the movie Beloved.  God was trying to show me that regret deals with not being able to let go of the past. 

The Bible says in Luke 9:62 that you are not "fit" (able) to serve in the kingdom of God when you look back. I've embarked on a new journey...a new assignment in my life and I can't complete this assignment if I'm looking back. How can a person ploy a field while looking back...they can't.  I CAN'T do what I NEED to do....HAVE to do and still look back.  It's impossible!!  So, I MUST..."forget those things that are behind...

In Phillipians 3 it says this:

 12-14I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.
 15-16So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.  The Message Bible  

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...