Monday, August 6, 2012

Let the Past DIE!!

I was thinking about the movie Beloved and sure enough a week later someone left a DVD in the staff lounge for anyone to have.  I took it and watched it over the weekend. When I had watched it before (well after it debuted in 1998) I didn't fully get it.  I didn't think it was a bad movie, I just didn't understand the full story.  However, this weekend I "got it."  Sethe couldn't let go of the past.  She was haunted by her past...those spirits haunted her children.  Then the past showed up one day and she welcomed it into her house...not realizing that it was her past. It was only when she realized that it was her past that it debilitated her.  She couldn't keep up, it caused her to lose hope in life. Then, when concerned people came to "see about" her, her past disappeared and again, despite the hell that it took her through, she still couldn't let go. She said that her past was the "best thing." Not realizing that "she" was her "best thing." 

I life people hold on to DEAD STUFF. The Bible says, "let the dead bury the dead...." Meaning that when stuff is dead, you GOT to let it go!!  She kept her dead baby alive with all the guilt and shame that she went through. That's why it continued to haunt he and her family. Then, when the past materialized in the flesh, she wasn't able to recognize it as the past because she wanted it!

I don't know why I was thinking about this movie...I don't even know why it showed up in our staff break room, and I was even pondering on how this is relevant to me NOW.  Of course there have been times when I've dealt with my past and I had struggled in letting stuff go....so I was searching within myself to see if there was anything left from my past that was haunting me....

Of course I'm dealing with some regrets, but is there something that I'm holding on to, something that is haunting me....

YES!!!  And I don't want it to materialize in the flesh!!!!  So, I've got to let it go!!!!

I received a FB message today that haunted me...it was from Mister. I didn't open it. I want to, but I DON'T WANT TO...this is one reason I don't frequent FB. I keep my page deactivated most of the time, but for some time I have to reactivate it for work.....

What do I do?? I don't want that part of my life to live.  I want that part to stay dead!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...