Thursday, April 12, 2012

$8000 NOT "A" Thousand Dollars

D'OH!!

Communication is very IMPORTANT!  Without it, there will be chaos everywhere.  A failure in communication is just a bad.  For example,

I'm working on a project at work that involves bringing Chef Marvin Woods to town to hold a healthy cooking demonstration.  We would also like for the chef to visit our teaching garden school to provide a fun filled program for students.  I called his people and left a message.  They called me back a week later.  When I answered the I didn't really understand what the man was saying so I asked him if he could refresh my memory of why I called.  I finally heard Chef Marvin Wood's name and made the connection that this was the his people calling me back.  So, I explained what our goal was and he stated that this was in line with the Chef's goals.  He then proceeded to tell me how much it cost to have him here for a day....

Rewind.....

When I pitched this to my boss I mentioned to her that it should not cost more than $10,000.  This man is somewhat a celebrity.  He's authored several cook books, has been on tv with his own cooking show, is often featured in O Magazine, kicked off Michelle Obama's culinary program with her Let's Move campaign....this guy is not some unknown.  So I was thinking that $10,000 was a fair price.

So, I'm on the phone with this guy and he says it cost, "a thousand dollars per day plus travel expenses...." Then he proceeded to tell me what that entailed.

I was shocked.  Only "a thousand dollars" and actually I mentioned to him that this was a lot cheaper than we expected.  Also, I as we were winding down the conversation I repeated to him that information so that I could ensure that I HEARD everything correctly.  He agreed that I HEARD everything correctly then proceeded to tell me that he would send me an email recapping the information.  I thanked him and said goodbye.

That was yesterday....

Today, I sit down to read my email and it says, "$8000 per day...."  WHAT!!!?????  WHAT???????!!!!!

Where did this come from??????  I had a Homer Simpson moment,  D'OH!!

He said $8000 not A THOUSAND!!!!  OMG!!!!  Of course this was AFTER I told EVERYONE that it ONLY cost "A THOUSAND DOLLARS plus travel expenses.  WHAT TO DO?? WHAT TO DO???

So, I went in to my boss and explained.  Of course she understood, but man oh man!!  Boy oh boy!!  I'm gonna have to go back and tell them that sad news.  WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?  I was so excited about "A THOUSAND DOLLARS" that now that it's $8000, I'm not sure.  I don't want to doubt, but my mind and soul was set on "A THOUSAND DOLLARS.  A THOUSAND DOLLARS was doable.  Actually I was thinking that the $10,000 was doable, but now I have a different perspective.  It's looks different now!!  I've written a grant and I'm praying to GOD that it comes through because we wrote in the grant $10,000 to bring him here.  But, if we don't get the grant we will need to find sponsors.  OMG!!

GOD, WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO????!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...