Friday, July 29, 2011

Who Stole the Cookies From the Cookie Jar?

I'm working at a summer camp for the NP. It's wearing me OUT!! We've hired 20 young people ages 16-19 to run the summer camp, but my job is to train them. WHEW!! They were hired two weeks ago and I've been trying to help them understand that we are gonna need a really tight schedule to deal with 50, 5-12 year old children. They have not been understanding, so when the camp started on Monday they were all over the place. On Tuesday, we had some issues. The snacks set aside for the summer camp children camp up missing. It took us all day to find out that 4 of our workers stole the fruit roll ups and vanilla wafers. At one point, it started to be funny because the investigation was getting really silly. I really wanted to laugh at the whole situation and I wanted to make it a game, but it was a serious situation because I didn't want stealing to become a habit for any one of them.

After we found the culprits we told them that they needed to replace the stolen items. We ended up with 4 boxes of Fruit Roll Ups and a bag of cookies (the boy didn't replace the vanilla wafers, but he brought cookies).

The next day one of the workers came back from lunch high as a kite. I looked at his eyes and they were blood and he was squinting. I asked one of my co-workers if she could make a judgement call and she agreed with me that he looked high. After getting him into our office, we questioned him and at first he denied it, but then he confessed. So we had to send him home. We let him know that his was grounds for termination, but at this point he wasn't fired. After he left, I got to thinking about when he said that he was by himself. It didn't sound right, so I asked one of his friends who all went to the store during lunch and his friend confirmed that it was three of them. So the investigation continued. We found out that the other two boys were not involved when he smoked the joint, but they went to store with him afterwards.

Then the following day, we had an incident where the children were playing near the parking lot and broke one of the workers mirrors.

So, it's been one issue after another...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...