Friday, January 20, 2012

Interview News

I had my interview at the health department on Wednesday.

I made it home from work around noon to prepare for my interview at 2:30.  I got my best suit out and ironed it.  I needed to be dry cleaned, but since my funds were low, I wasn't able to get it cleaned.  So I did my best with ironing it.  Around 1:45 I began getting dressed which including making sure my hair was neat (I hated my hairstyle, but there was nothing I could do about it.)  I got my clothes on and put my suit jacket on and was nervous because it was still wrinkled.  GRRRR!!!  I steamed ironed it, but it still didn't get all the wrinkles out.  So, I had to use a back-up jacket that didn't quite match my pants.  When I looked in the mirror, I didn't see a business woman, I saw a woman who was dressed to go to work.  You know what I mean....

I looked like this:






instead of like this:


Also, I had on brown socks that showed when I sat down.  I wasn't as confident as I would have liked to be, but it was after 2pm and I needed to be heading out the door.

I arrived at the health department at 2:20pm and sat and waited, and waited, and waited some more.  Finally, a woman walked out the door.  I assumed this lady had just completed her interview because she walked right past me and, not even speaking.  She was a nice looking, older woman.  She also didn't have on a matching suit jacket and pants, but she was well dressed.

A few minutes later B came to get my.  I fumbled a bit with the handshake because I had my coat, a scarf and a portfolio with me.

The interview went smoothly....

Tell me about a time you had conflict at work?

I told her about the time when I got offended because my co-workers didn't want me to train them.

Tell me about a time when you failed on a project?

I told her about the time I planned a trip for some students to go to dinner and the theatre.  We went to see the Lion King and afterwards to an Ethipopian restaurant.  The students HATED the restaurant and complained and asked if they could stop at McDonalds on the way home.  I was so embarrassed, but I told her that I learned that I should have prepared them better for the restaurant--you had to eat with your hands that these were students who weren't that adventurous.

Tell me about and advertisement that was the best and worst that you've seen?
I told her about the Quiznos commercial that had a singing mouse--not a mouse like Mickey or Chucky Cheese, but a small, furry rodent.  That was not very appetizing for Quiznos.

I then told her that there is something about Taco Bell commercials that just compel me to get some Taco Bell.  I'm not even a huge fan of Taco Bell, but their commercials have the food looking so delicious.

There were quite a few other questions.  The interview lasted over and hour.  Then I asked her some questions:

What type of training/staff development is available?

Where does she see the position going in 5 years?
I found out that this was a newly created position that was grant funded until December.  Therefore, the person in the position would need to help in seeking to sustain the position.

What are her thoughts on going from a "one woman" department to not inviting a team member?

What do you like most and least bout the job that she is doing?

There were a few other questions, but it was overall a good interview.  B told me that they would be calling for 2nd interviews in two weeks.  So, I'm hopefull.

I just did a google search of B and I knew I recognized her from somewhere.  She was the president of HSAC and I went to the HSAC banquet this summer because the NP that I volunteer with was receiving an award.  If I get hired, I'm gonna send her the picture of herself that I have.  Small world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...