Monday, June 20, 2016

That's Why Abraham Did That

Over Memorial Day weekend I attended a semi-family reunion on Freeport, IL. I was excited and nervous at the same time. This was my first time (not really) meeting my dad's side of the family. During our time together, I began putting together a family tree. As we were trying to remember who was who and how old people were, it was time for me to go.

On the way home I was a little emotional and I got to thinking about family and our heritage. It reminded me of Abraham.

When Abraham was dying he told his servant to get a wife for his son, but he didn't want his son to marry just anybody. He specifically told his servant not to let his son marry any of the foreign women. He was given instructions to go back to his hometown to find him a wife. It was so important that his son marry the right woman. His son would carry on the legacy to be the heir of Jesus. Not anyone could have done that. It had to be a certain bloodline.

In thinking about all of that I was thinking about family. I want to be able to teach my children standards because the bloodline matters.

My mom met my dad in high school and they became teen parents. It affected us--how we lived and I am dealing with repercussions now of my childhood. So I want to be able to teach those standards and lift up the name of Christ in my home.

The Bible says that God knew that Abraham would command his household to serve the Lord.

I will command my household to serve the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...