Thursday, August 25, 2011

Teaching GED

I started teaching an 8:30 GED class on Monday. It was a little rocky at first because I wasn't sure how exactly to teach the class. I mean, everyone in the class is at a different level, so how do you teach that?

The first day was testing. No problem. Pass out the test, use the two hours for them to complete the test. If they complete early, good, they can go home. It they take longer, we finish the next day.

But, the second day was when I needed to have a plan in place. Hmmm, what to do, what to do?

So, as I"m fumbling around showing student's their test scores and telling them where they needed to start, a former student of mine comes in. He was a little bossy, but I didn't mind because he let me know that the previous teacher had folders for each student with assignments for what they needed to do.

Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea. I got folders and ran with it. Then I began deciphering the test scores and learning all of the coded words and numbers. Instead of putting together an outline, I simply added the test scores to their folder and told them to use that as a guide of what to work on.

I'm gonna take some time this weekend to really go through information that they need to work on so they won't be bored to death. But, the first week was cool. Not all of my students showed up. Some showed up the first day and that's it. I need to maintain a good enrollment.

One of my goals is to have all of the students who have shown up, complete the 8 week class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Does That Affect Your Values?

 I met this guy..... Oh boy..... We shall call him Dell. Dell and I met online on FB dating about a week before Christmas. During that time ...